Injuries / Accidents

What to do if you suffer an accident abroad

Unfortunately accidents occur on holiday all the time. Handing accidents abroad is a «fantastic way» to ruin a vacation.

Whether an accident injury happens on a skiing holiday or a trip to the beach, there are various things you should always do before and after your accident. These tips for dealing with accidents abroad should prepare you should an unforeseen incident occur.

Before the Accident

To put yourself in the best position prior to any accident occurring you need to ensure you’re covered for the cost of any medical treatment.

  • Appropriate insurance

    Wherever you’re traveling, it’s vital that you get travel insurance that covers you for accidents abroad, including medical costs in the occurrence of any accident or injury. For example, for those enjoying a summer sports holiday, specialist insurance is needed to cover you whilst on the slopes whereas if you’re off on a backpacking holiday you’ll need cover for all those extreme sports you’ll be undertaking. But it’s not just for a specialist holiday you need insurance, you should always take out cover before you travel anywhere. If you have health insurance in place, this should cover you for all your medical costs.

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

    If you’re traveling within the EU and suffer an accident abroad, you’re eligible for healthcare at a reduced cost or even free, dependent on your holding a valid EHIC. However, this may not cover you for all your health care while abroad, particularly if the accident is serious and you have suffered severe injuries. It’s therefore important to still take out private health cover.

After the Accident

If you’ve been involved in an accident abroad you may have to initially cover the cost of any medical treatment and then claim it back further down the line. It’s important to check the level of cover provided by your insurance to make sure you know exactly what you’re entitled to and report the accident to the insurers straight away. If you’re going to be spending a long time in hospital it’s important to make enquiries about repatriation as well. If you have an accident abroad, ALCIBIADES HATZANTONIS LAW OFFICE WILL MAKE SURE THAT:

  • We shall come to the site immediately.
  • Report the incident to your holiday rep or someone in authority
  • Make sure the details are recorded in an accident book
  • Take detailed photos of the scene of the incident and any damage
  • Note the details of any witnesses
  • Keep records of all the dates you visit the doctors or any other form of medial centre
  • Note any additional expenses that may have occurred and keep all receipts

Depending on the nature of the accident and whether or not someone else was to blame, you may be able to make a claim for personal injury compensation – including the driver, the insurance company, the tour operator who organized the holiday.

The most important thing is to get in touch with our office, which will take care of all the details to build your case.

Share it!

Contact Us

Law Office

Alcibiades Hatzantonis & Associates

Makrigianni & Papatheophanous
GR 853 00 | Kos
Dodecanese Islands
+30 22420 21776
+30 22420 45933
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Office Hours

Monday 08:00 to 15:00 & 17:30 to 21:00
Tuesday 08:00 to 15:00 & 17:30 to 21:00
Wednesday 08:00 to 15:00 & 17:30 to 21:00
Thursday 08:00 to 15:00 & 17:30 to 21:00
Friday 08:00 to 15:00 & 17:30 to 21:00
Saturday 08:00 to 13:30
Sunday Closed

Accessible via e-Mail 24h / Day

All materials contained on this website are made available by Alciviades Hatzantonis & Associates Law Office for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website does not form or constitute an attorney-client relationship. Persons should not act upon information found on this website without first seeking professional legal counsel.